The 2018/19 academic year was the start of the Swansea Teaching and Course Awards, a set of College nominated awards to recognise outstanding an contribution to teaching and learning / course design and delivery.
The whole suite of awards consisted of:
- College Teacher of the Year (one per College)
- Institutional Teacher of the Year (just the one, each year)
- Course of the Year (New Course)
- Course of the Year (Use of TEL)
- Course of the Year (Pedagogic Innovation)
The nomination and selection process starts in March and culminates with an evening awards ceremony in September, where the winners are announced and presented by PVC Professor Martin Stringer.
With these awards, being nominated by your college is a great achievement in itself, and with that in mind, the nominees and eventual winners for each award are shown below.
College Teachers of the Year
(Each college nominated three members of academic staff who are not only outstanding teachers but who also make an exceptional contribution to Learning and Teaching within the college)
Arts and Humanities
Human and Health Sciences
School of Management
Course of the Year
(Each college could nominate once for each of three course categories, giving one institutional winner in each category)
- Best New Course: Arts and Humanities – EN3053 The Swansea University International Dylan Thomas Prize Module
- Best Use of TEL: School of Management – BSc Accounting & Finance / BSc Accounting (TEL use in MN-3038 and MN-3502)
- Best Pedagogic Innovation: Science – MA-231 Advanced Geometry, level 2 – FHEQ 5 Undergraduate
Institutional Teacher of the Year Award
(This award was voted for by the Directors of Learning and Teaching, from the winners of the College Teaching Awards above)
- Peter Dorrington – Engineering