The Blackboard test canvas contains a large number of options making it an extremely flexible tool for the creation of online quizzes and tests. Features include:
- 17 different question types to choose from
- Randomly generate quizzes using a pool of questions
- Allow students to retake an unlimited amount of times or set a limit on the number of reattempts
- Blackboard can grade all answers (for the majority of the 17 question types) and release the marks to the student
- Design feedback into the marking to inform students why their answer is in/correct and signpost where they can find the correct answer
Feedback on understanding and performance is critical in learning. A well designed quiz or test can give students and staff valuable information about student’s prior knowledge, misconceptions, understanding or progression. If feedback is rapid enough it can also be a diagnostic tool that students can use to gauge their own performance and highlight areas for improvement.
Some suggested uses for online quizzes/tests include:
- Quick assessment of knowledge and understanding
- Gauge prior knowledge and adapt teaching accordingly/refer students to additional or essential reading
- Summative module assessment
- Skills test
- Assign mini quizzes based on reading assignments/tasks to assess completion and understanding
- Combine quiz grades with adaptive release to create a learning journey within a module
- Import quizzes from the publishers of key text books (where licencing agreements allow) to support student learning
If you would like to explore the Blackboard test canvas and learn more about its functions and features we have devised an online self-paced learning module within Blackboard itself. The module contains all of the resources and guidance needed to help you create and deploy online tests/quizzes. To gain access to the Blackboard module please click the link below which will open a new email message which you can send to the team.
We would advise that if you plan on designing and implementing a high stakes summative assessment using the Blackboard test canvas you should consult with SALT prior to developing the assessment in the first instance.