Thursday 20th February 2014
12:00 – 13:30
Did you know that Swansea University has over 130 student societies including 34 academic societies ? We have seen a considerable increase in the numbers of academic societies in recent years something is part of a national trend.
Societies and academic societies in particular are an excellent way of ensuring that students feel part of an academic community. Societies also offer opportunities for students to gain additional skills and experiences including organisation, event management and communication. In addition student societies also offer a range of academic activities to support student learning including talks from invited speakers from practice or alumni, study advice and connections to local and professional organisations.
This seminar will offer a brief overview of the sorts of activities societies undertake, the benefits which students accrue and how you can work with academic societies in your area.
- Academic societies on the rise ? – Ceinwen Clooney, Student Union Societies and Services Officer
- Building Engineering Society Success – Dr James Holness and Engineering Student Reps
- From strength to strength – the History Society – Isabel Costello, History Society President and Dr Martin Johnes, Head of History
- Academic Societies on the rise (PowerPoint)
- Building Engineering Society Success (Powerpoint)
- From Strength to Strength – The History Society (Word)